Sunday, January 1, 2012

LEGOLAND

Been awhile since I posted. I hope you (my faithful readers) are doing well and are already starting to enjoy the new year. I'm still finding it hard to believe that its 2012! Time just keeps flying by. Well, my photo for you today is from LEGOLAND Florida. I had the pleasure of going there the day after Christmas with my family (some of whom are still trying to figure out how the heck I convinced them to go, but they loved it just the same). I have played with LEGOs for as long as I can remember and I still enjoy putting together a set or two from time to time. My roommates in college even bought me a pretty big Star Wars set for my birthday back in September and you would have thought I was 6 years old again from my excitement. I have always blamed LEGOs for my interest in architecture. I love building things and to be able to do that at a young age was pure heaven that arrived in the form of plastic blocks, which were only limited by my imagination. Its amazing that such a simple idea as interlocking toy bricks has become a worldwide phenomenon. The word "LEGO" comes from the Danish phrase "leg godt" which means "play well," and the toys they make have traveled across the globe. There are currently five LEGOLAND parks with two being in the United States. The one in Florida just opened up this past October so it is the newest park and it is also the largest. It stands on the grounds of the old Cypress Gardens park, the very first theme park in Florida. It was famous for its lush botanical gardens and water skiing shows, both of which are still in full swing at LEGOLAND. If you live in Florida, or if you plan on visiting anytime soon, you should make a trip there. The park itself is geared towards kids really, but it is also very fun for adults too and they have four roller coasters that entertain all age groups. All in all I had a great time and I would love to go back one day. The photo above is of a portion of the "Mini-Land" in the park, which is a scale model of different scenes all made entirely out of LEGO bricks. They had Washington D.C., New York City, Miami, Las Vegas, and several other locations represented along with a Pirate's Bay (pictured above). I picked this one because I was able to get the kid pointing towards the model which is priceless. Hope you enjoy and remember to "Play Well."

No comments:

Post a Comment